Monday 3 February 2014

Baby Boy's Books Of The Month (Feb14)

I love reading books to my little boy and he loves listening. Even at eleven months he becomes engrossed in the pictures as I read and turn each page. When we come to a favourite page he'll put his hand on it so that he can look for a wee bit longer. :-)
I'm so happy that he enjoys books. I had a huge appetite for reading when I was a child (even as an adult!) and when working in daycare and now as a childminder, reading stories is one of my favourite parts of the daily routine.


Reading aloud:
teaches a baby about communication
introduces concepts such as numbers, letters, colors, and shapes in a fun way
builds listening, memory, and vocabulary skills
gives babies information about the world around them


I buy books for my son every month (I need a spending ban on that!) and we also go to the library once a week.
Based on all of that I have decided to do a monthly blog post about what books particularly caught my son's attention. As I said earlier, he's currently only eleven months so his favourite books are as much about the illustrations as they are about the flow of the story.


So, all that said, February's favourites were:



The Gruffalo's Child - Julia Donaldson
Who, whatever their age, doesn't love a bit of Julia Donaldson? I really get into playing the characters in her books and O spends most of the book looking up at me, smiling at the different voices. I LOVE JULIA DONALDSON. There, I said it. ;-)

A Bit Lost - Chris Haughton
I didn't really enjoy reading this book to be honest (I know, its not about me!) The story itself reminds me a lot of Julia Donaldson's Monkey Puzzle. It just wasn't as good unfortunately.

Puddles and Bubbles - Driver Dan's Story Train
O watches Driver Dan's Story Train on Ceebeebies while I'm preparing his meal and loves it. Its one of the few times I know that he won't venture outside of the living room so this book was a no-brainer.

Magic Forest - Peep-Po
This is a pull-tab book and when O understood how it worked he loved trying to pull the tab out by himself and "oooohing" when a new character appeared. :-)

Cleo The Cat - Caroline Mockford
Cute board book about a stray cat that is looking for a new home. I love the flow of this book because the language is simple yet rhymes. I find rhyming stories very enjoyable to read. The illustrations are bright and colourful which is right up O's street!

That's Not My Plane - Usborne
That's Not My Lion - Usborne
That's Not My Meerkat - Usborne
O loves the different textures within these books. They in turn help to develop his wee sensory skills and language.




What books are your children currently enjoying?
Much love. xx


Lisa


@latte_fiend on Twitter.







No comments:

Post a Comment