Wednesday 28 May 2014

Reverse Hair Washing

Recently I have been hearing a lot about reverse hair washing. Really? Conditioner before shampoo? It just sounds wrong but I decided that I had to give it a go.

Apparently reverse hair washing gives hair more volume. The reason being that we can never quite rinse out all our conditioner and that residue causes our hair to be weighed down and look limp.
I have a full head of hair that requires conditioner in order to be able to brush it out after washing. For that reason alone I can't use those 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioners or just shampoo on it's own. I just end up fighting with my hair and I'm pretty sure I do plenty of damage. Because of this I was apprehensive about washing my hair in reverse.

I used Tresemme Platinum Strength shampoo and conditioner. I bought it in Superdrug for £4.99 each for 500ml.

I did everything exactly as I normally would, I just did it in reverse! I wet my hair, applied conditioner, wrapped it in a towel and left it for 5 minutes. I then rinsed it out well and applied shampoo.

The first thing I noticed was that my hair lathered up a lot quicker than it normally would, therefore I probably didn't need to use as much shampoo as I did. I then towel dried my hair and began to brush it out using my big GHD paddle brush. As expected, it was a pretty unpleasant experience. Maybe not as bad as when I've used a 2 in 1 shampoo in the past but still bad enough to ensure I would have no desire to reverse wash my hair everytime.

Some positives - my hair dried A LOT quicker. I loved that! It also had more volume. Not that volume has ever been a problem for me, but if it is a problem for you, then it's worth giving this process a wee go.

And,with all that said, I won't be converting any time soon but I think I will start to reverse wash maybe once a week.

Have you tried reverse washing?
What did you think?


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried it and not sure it would work for me either; I have thick, coarse and frizzy hair that takes a lot of work to get under control lol. May give it a go though just to see if it works :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to see what you think. x

      Delete