Thursday 9 January 2014

A Little Thing Called Twitter


When I signed up to Twitter I was a new mum, on maternity leave and I just wanted something to pass the time during the sleepy night feeds.
I thought I would follow a few celebrities and that would be that. Since then I've also started my own blog (obviously, you're reading it!) and I've realised that Twitter is like one big community. People are willing to reach out and help you. @silver_blog and @OhNoItsBex have to get a special mention here. I asked for help (on my blog) and they accepted, just because. That rarely happens in 'real life'. If only the entire world operated like that. 
At Christmas the comedian Sarah Millican (@SarahMillican75) was tweeting about a hashtag #JoinIn. It was created so that nobody need feel alone at Christmas. During all the festivities I checked the hashtag once or twice and the love, support and friendship I seen was quite staggering. Nobody knew each other but people were having a laugh and offering kind words where needed. It was gorgeous and heartwarming. 
The internet can be a dark, nasty place sometimes but it is also a really fantastic tool. I have met some amazing people I wouldn't have met otherwise and it's been fab'. I think, years later, I finally get what all the hype is about. :-)

1 comment: