Monday 9 September 2013

Creating bad habits.

When you are expecting a baby you get polluted with do's & dont's. Since having my son, the one quote that I repeat to myself over & over again is "Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you'll be criticised anyway" (Eleanor Roosevelt). 
For one thing, I occasionally co-sleep with my baby - if he's particularly restless, teething etc. Sometimes a baby just wants to feel security! Don't we all? 
People are entitled to raise their children how they see fit. I personally lean towards attachment parenting. Some people raise their eyebrows, tell me I'll end up with a spoilt baby, a mummy's boy, blah, blah, blah. Since when was being well loved the equivalent of being spoilt? Since when did people think they had the right to offer a running commentary on my parenting skills/techniques? People have forgotten how to filter what travels from the brain to the mouth. 
Recently Tesco was having Twitter Q&A with Sarah Ockwell-Smith (@TheBabyExpert). She took the time to respond to my questions (long after the Q&A session) had ended & she has only strengthened my knowledge that I'm doing nothing wrong, nor am I putting down the foundations for parenting issues when baby is a little older. 
She pointed me in the direction of a few interesting articles which I very much enjoyed reading so I'll include the links here. 
And
As long as babies are fed, loved, clean, warm etc. do we really need to get bogged down in judging each other? Surely we're all just trying to do our best & what works for us & our little ones. 

@latte_fiend on Twitter. 

1 comment:

  1. "As long as babies are fed, loved, clean, warm etc. do we really need to get bogged down in judging each other? Surely we're all just trying to do our best & what works for us & our little ones."

    Couldn't agree more with that. Mother knows best :)

    ReplyDelete