Tuesday 22 October 2013

To my 16 year old self....

I was talking to a friend about an article I had seen in The Guardian from 2011, if memory serves me well. It was letters that celebrities had wrote to their 16 year old selves. Some were funny, some were touching, some were sad. 
It got me thinking about what I would tell my 16 year old self if the opportunity arose. I decided that if a celebrity could write themselves a letter, I could too. I thought it might be cathartic if nothing else. Below is my letter. 

*********
Dear 16 year old me,
The things you're about to experience & go through...I'm jealous that it's still all ahead of you! :-)
Some of it will be amazing - memories that will stay with you & forever make you smile. Live in the moment & soak it all up. 
Some of it will be utter utter crap. You'll wonder why you're getting the shitty end of the stick but learn the lessons & move on, that applies to shitty people too. MOVE ON! It will all make you a better person, a more empathic person & that can only be a good thing. 
You'll go through a very dark period when you're much older. You'll wonder what you did to deserve this, how you went so wrong but stick with it. It will test your metal, prove that you're as strong as you think you are & the most amazing wee person is going to come out of it. He'll change your life forever (for the better) & suddenly the regrets you have about that chapter, they'll no longer be regrets. They'll be a means to an end, an amazing, fantastic end. Words can't even explain....
Trust your instincts. If it feels wrong, it IS wrong. 
Love people with your whole heart. Nothing else really matters at the end of it all anyway. Forgive & if you can't forgive then forget & move on. See the pattern?
Enjoy it, really really enjoy it, every inconsequential wee thing. It flies by so quickly & one day you'll be sitting writing a letter to your 16 y/o self realising just how quickly.

Love.  xxx

@latte_fiend on Twitter 

No comments:

Post a Comment